Pages

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Review: Bill's Islington, London



I could not quite contain my excitement last week when I spotted a postcard for the new Bill's Cafe in Islington. For a few years now, we've been fans of the Bill's in Brighton (pictured) and Lewes - they're almost always the place I get to spend time with my dearest and oldest friends, catching up over Eggs Florentine (which fyi in England is pretty hard to come by!) and giant milkshakes. So earlier in the week, with the draw of a free bottle of wine to celebrate their opening, we decided to try out the new location.

To start we had some veggies with hummus to share and got started on the house wine. The hummus was lovely but the carrots/celery were a little on the thin side. Anywho, we got on with enjoying our meal and for main both had the Bill's burger (pictured) - me with guacamole, him with cheese. The burger was delicious - served in toasted brioche, which I have to tell you I was sceptical about, but nevertheless the combination of buttery bread, avocado mush and home-made burger worked. 


Next up dessert. I ordered the cheesecake with lemon curd and he ordered the pavlova. Unfortunately they were all out of pavlova so instead he ordered an ice cream sundae. Both were nice, although staff had failed to notice the pumpkin seeds that had attached themselves to mine before serving and R enjoyed feeling like a 5-year-old eating his sundae.

So what did we think? Well, I think we both agreed that the atmosphere just wasn't the same. The food was great, but the reason we love Bill's so much back in my home county is because of it's warm, relaxed atmosphere. Perhaps it's because they haven't quite found their feet but Bill's Islington felt like it had been Londonified in a way. Oh well, just another reason for our move to Sussex.

Megan xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis